brain spiral (Blog Reflection 1)

man with frog, 2019. magazine scraps on paper.

blog reflection 1

"to simulate is to feign to have what one hasn't" -baudrillard (5)

what is true and what is not?

the fear of finding that all is nothing. i find this fear pointless. if all is nothing, but this nothingness is our reality, we might as well be present in it than spending our lives figuring out where we stand in the realm of "real." baudrillard explains that a simulation "threatens" the difference between "true" and "false" but if we think it's true, does it matter if it's false? what happens then, that we find we have been living in a falsity? is it so bad? what if it is something much better than a said "reality" ...

i think the book aims to have us question what is around us-- and in our present culture, i think that has a lot to do with media. we are fed oogles and ogles of information by simply stepping outside. are things really as we perceive them? we are at a point where we share so much virtually-- especially with this coronavirus pandemic right now. my human interaction is limited, my classes, my family, my friends, all exist through these machines. it is bizarre and i wonder what baudrillard would say about our present culture.

Comments

  1. As always Hannah, you find ways to change my perspective!!! SO happy I read this because it is going to help me with my project!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Reflection 2